Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Final Blog Entry

I was a bit apprehensive about my trip to the Adirondacks. However, looking back on the week, I realize that every new experience has given me a great understanding and knowledge on how I can better both my personal and professional life in and out of the classroom.

1. I am grateful to have spent a week with a wonderful group of students and two awesome professors. Some new friendships formed and some old friendships rekindled. Everybody brought something new to the “classroom”. New ideas, suggestions, and successes were discussed. We all got along really well and worked well together in teams.

2. Karl touched a few new technology programs on the computers. I had previously taken a computer course with Karl, so it was nice to have a refresher on Garage Band and iTunes. The Comic Life program was something new that we had not learned. This program was really neat, and I can see where it could be used in my classroom someday! Children love comics – they love fun and colorful readings – so this program could really grab their attention and engage them in the reading. I am excited to use this program in my teaching.

3. As we all know, I am not a huge “outdoorsy” person. I wanted to try this course and learn some new things that I can take back to the classroom. One thing that really grabbed my attention was the fact that we need to take our children outside as much as possible. They need to be active! By listening to Eric and Bri stressing how they try to get their students outside as much as possible, I believe that it’s something all teachers should be doing! Recess and field trips are starting to become shorter and fewer, and children are just sitting inside all day when they should be outside learning!

4. Hiking up Black Bear Mountain was something that was very meaningful to me. I have never been on a serious hike before. I honestly did not think I was going to make it! I looked up ahead of me during that last half of a mile and just kept pushing myself to reach the top. I felt so great and proud of myself to make it to the top of the mountain. I think this will definitely get me more motivated to push myself into more physical activities.

5. We discussed in the “classroom” how important it is to buy from local farms. There is a farmer’s market both in Trumansburg and in Ithaca. I have been to both of them quite often; however, have never bought my fruits or vegetables from the individuals selling the products. After our discussion, I think I will be more apt to buy from the local farmers rather than pick up my fruits and veggies at Wegmans. I do buy corn-on-the-cob from local stands, and always think it tastes better rather than buying it in the store!

Three things that I have taken away from the course topics, activities, and discussions include trying everything at least once, making some time for myself, and living a greener lifestyle.

1. The high ropes course was an team building activity that I chose not to participate in because of fear. Unfortunately, I regret not doing it. Everybody who participated in the challenge did an AWESOME job and I am so proud of you all for facing your fears and never giving up. I feel that I need to try everything at least once. I'll never know if I would have enjoyed the high ropes course because I did not push myself to do it. If I had completed the high ropes course, I would have felt like I actually accomplished something that I never thought I would have done. I am hoping I will have the opportunity again someday to try it.

2. I work at a day camp from 8:30-4:15 everyday with eighteen 6-year old kids. This is my 6th year at Cass Park Day Camp and I absolutely love it; however, get burned out quickly because I never take some time for myself. I love to be with the kids, and never take my break, because I feel like I will miss something. Well, by the end of the day, I am burned out and tired. The trip to Raquette Lake taught me to always take the time for myself, even if it is just for 10 minutes. I could step outside, relax for a bit, and then come back inside after I have collected myself so that I wouldn't feel so burned out at the end of the day.

3. Living a greener lifestyle is something that I have been trying to focus a bit more on since I had the computer class with Karl. I have been carpooling to work in Ithaca everyday with another girl who lives in Cortland, turning off the lights when I am not in a room, and small things of the sort that contribute to a larger picture. There were so many great ideas from this class, and I feel like a lot of the individuals who participated in this class already have a good handle on how they can reduce their carbon footprint. One thing that I did a lot was run to the store when I am out of a certain food. After this class, I have still not been to the grocery store and have been using what food I have! It sounds so small, but eventually, it helps out with the bigger picture.

1 comment:

  1. Gretchen,

    I'm glad you were able to take away so many things from the course. You have indicated a lot of plans both for yourself and family, and for your current and future students. Karl and I look forward to hearing from you about how things are going for you. I'm glad that you challenged yourself to try many things this past week. As for the ropes course, I understand your regret at not doing the ropes course. My first opportunity to do climbing and rappelling I also turned down as I have strong fear of heights. However, the next time I had the opportunity, I did take advantage of it - which later led to me becoming a ropes course facilitator. I have faith that you will also try it the next time - and will probably even seek out a chance to try it.

    - Beth

    ReplyDelete